Friday, July 26, 2013

The Cheating Line

What is cheating?  Is there even a concrete definition?

Apparently, 85% of women and 74% of men consider sexting to be cheating, according to this study.

Is cheating just about a physical act, though?  I've known people who think checking someone out or flirting crosses that line.

It seems like where we place the cheating line says a lot about our relationships.

I consider myself to have cheated in my first marriage.  But, I don't berate myself or label myself a "cheater" for it, given the circumstances of that relationship.  I needed an out and got caught up in sexting and online sex.

That's still an act, though it mainly involves the imagination and masturbating...  And, in some ways, I believe that cheating starts with the head or heart and not the groin.  If we're acting outside the set boundaries of the relationship or its rules, that's obviously cheating.

Where are the rules?  Are they accepted as a given or negotiated?  Ideally, there'd be a conversation and clear understanding of them in all relationships.  But, we humans aren't the best at that.

Monoamory has to include a negotiation of what fidelity is and isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment