Thursday, August 22, 2013

Monoamory and being bisexual

So, recently, Margaret Cho gave an interview.  Openly bisexual, she ties her sexual orientation with being polyamorous.  You can read that here.

Most people (I hope!) can get that being bi does NOT mean you have sex with anyone and everyone.  And, I think almost as many people know that being bi doesn't mean you have to have sex with both men and women to be satisfied.

But, it seems that the myth is still out there.  That pisses me off.

Maybe more things like this should change to include relationship orientation.

As a bisexual and someone enjoying monoamory, I call bullshit on Margaret Cho's assertion.  It works for her, okay.  But, being bi isn't about how many people you sleep with or even who you choose to sleep with. It's about attraction.  Some bi people act on more attractions than others.  Doesn't change or increase their "bi-ness," in my opinion.  By the same token, not acting on attractions or not being poly doesn't decrease or erase the bisexual part of my identity.

Defining bisexuality as needing poly relationships can be just as faulty as claiming we're all supposed to be mono.

No comments:

Post a Comment